web page hit counter TBnJ: books and reading

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

 

books and reading

T has been reading some of his "easy" books lately. He polished off Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch, Encyclopedia Brown Gets his Man, and The Case of the Fiddle-Playing Fox (a Hank the Cowdog book). He also read Kabumpo in Oz which we got through interlibrary loan. Currently he has a new Lego magazine which he is busy memorizing.

J finished The Witches. The book next to her bed is The Frog Princess, but she won't even open the cover for whatever reason. She has several other fairy tale type books in her stack of library books, but she hasn't picked any of them up yet, either.

B has been reading his Franklin books, and he's got out Curious George Rides a Bike out in book and CD form (where the CD reads the book). However, his newest library acquisition is Poop: A Natural History of the Unmentionable. The book has a lot of illustrations of animal poop which are labeled by species. B was looking through it and was able to correctly read the names several of the animals-- dog, cat, rabbit. He misidentified "deer" as "dinosaur," and he was having problems with words like tapier and antelope.

B's reading is a bit better than we think, I suspect. He claims not to be able to read anything, but he can identify a lot of words. He just can't read a book yet, so he doesn't feel like he's reading because he's comparing to what T and J can do. A couple of weeks ago when I was making the apple crockpot dessert, I handed the recipe to T, and we had a conversation that went like this:

Mama: So should we make that for dinner?
T: (reading the recipe with B looking over his shoulder) Yes, it looks good.
Mama: B, can you read what it says?
B: No.
Mama: Ok, I'm going to need some help getting the ingredients together.
B: I'll get the apples.
Mama: How do you know it needs apples?
B: Because it says apples.
Mama: I thought you said you couldn't read it?
B: (ignores Mama and heads to the fridge to dig apples out of the fruit drawer)

Anyway, B really found the poop book entertaining. T read it quickly, and I think J may have thumbed through it, but B is the one who has "claimed" it even though it says it's for an older audience.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?