web page hit counter TBnJ: the winds of Williamson County

Sunday, September 21, 2008

 

the winds of Williamson County

We have a friend in the neighborhood who is an immigrant who can't vote but who is a very staunch Democratic supporter. Daddy-o and I both vote Democrat almost all of the time, so when the friend asks us to put signs in our front yard which gets far more traffic than hers, we don't have a problem with it.

A few weeks ago, she brought over an Obama sign which Daddy-o and the kids plopped in the grass near the street. It lasted four days. Like all of the other Obama signs in the neighborhood, it somehow disappeared. We were left with this:

Obama sign frame

T came home from school and let me know, "Mama, the wind blew away our Obama sign." Um, yes. And the wind magically selected only the Obama signs in the neighborhood leaving the McCain ones standing. So after having informed T that it wasn't the wind, I let our friend know and she brought over another sign which she plopped in the middle of the yard away from the street. It lasted one day. This time the thieves also took the metal framework.

When I reported this back to a group of liberal mamas I socialize with, I got all kinds of suggestions on how to booby trap the next sign ranging from the gross to the illegal. They included Vaseline, Red Dog excrement, tacky bug goo, and anthrax. Other ideas included a video camera and a motion sensor light, though we think the thefts are actually happening during daylight hours. We may actually hang the third sign in a tree using a ladder which would make it more difficult for the thieves. But in the interim, we used the suggestion of chalking up the sidewalk.

T and J chalking the sidewalk

Since I don't want to force my political opinions on TBnJ, I offered them ten cents per "Obama" they wrote in big letters on the sidewalk. Since we are on a corner lot, we have a lot of sidewalk for them to cover. They had a great time earning money this way! And as one of the other mamas pointed out, let the thieves try to steal the sidewalk!

along the side street

Labels:


Comments:
Awesome! I love it!
 
Go T&J!! Awesome. Especially with all the stars. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?