Saturday, July 19, 2008
turning off the lights
This morning I had to turn off lights in a certain female child's bathroom, closet, and bedroom. She is the worst of the kids about leaving on lights upstairs though a certain other urchin (I'm not sure which) tends to leave on the downstairs bathroom lights. A group of moms and I had a discussion yesterday about electric bills in this very hot July. We haven't gotten ours yet for the month, but one friend's was $500. I estimate ours is going to be $275-$300 if we're lucky. So when I was asking the kids to please remember to shut off the lights, I decided to relay this information to them. I told them that electricity is expensive and that our bill this month will probably be about $300.
As T and J are both starting to grasp the concept of money and how much things cost, that really sunk in. J's eyes started to pop out of her head and she said, "Whoa!" T got up from the kitchen table where he was eating lunch and turned off the light above him. He said, "There's enough light coming in from the windows." I wonder if he'd done a calculation in his head of how many boxes of Legos he could buy for $300.
As T and J are both starting to grasp the concept of money and how much things cost, that really sunk in. J's eyes started to pop out of her head and she said, "Whoa!" T got up from the kitchen table where he was eating lunch and turned off the light above him. He said, "There's enough light coming in from the windows." I wonder if he'd done a calculation in his head of how many boxes of Legos he could buy for $300.
Labels: around the house, kid sayings
