Thursday, July 10, 2008
a modern girl's birthday

Presents have slowly been trickling in for T&J's eighth birthday which was on the eighth. A few I let them open when they arrived because they had picked them out and knew what they were. They helped pick out new bikes and a baseball glove at Academy on Saturday, so they knew about those before their birthday, too. Other presents we saved for the actual birthday, and those that are still coming in get opened as they arrive.
J is hard to shop for. She doesn't have quite as many interests as T. She always wants American Girl things, but she doesn't play with them that much relatively speaking, so I don't like getting her a lot of them. Still, I got two dresses on clearance in previous shipments, so I pulled those out of the closet to give her from us.
I also had seen a tool kit on an Amazon lightning deal several months ago that was a great price. Daddy-o happened to be around, and he thought it might be something J would like, too. So I got it for her. She was THRILLED with it. She opened the bag it came in and exclaimed, "REAL TOOLS! REAL TOOLS! I GOT REAL TOOLS!" This was completely exciting to her. Both boys immediately dropped what they were doing to come check out her loot. B has been especially jealous and let us know many times, "I want real tools." So we've told him he'll have to ask Santa and maybe he'll get some for Christmas. However, when you're five, Christmas is an eternity away from July.
The idea is that J and Daddy-o are going to go to the hardware store and buy some wood and make some American Girl furniture. The stuff in the catalog is ridiculously expensive, and building it together is a better experience anyway.

Labels: around the house
