web page hit counter TBnJ: name that blooming bush

Saturday, May 10, 2008

 

name that blooming bush

We have a beautiful bush in the backyard outside our back door. It grows with barely any sunlight. Once or twice a year, it blooms for about a week. This is actually one of the better years for how well it is blooming. It came into bloom yesterday and today. The scent smells fabulous. J says it smells like a honeysuckle. A friend called it a magnolia, but I don't think it's a true magnolia. Anybody know what this bush is?

Labels:


Comments:
I'll bet it's a gardenia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardenia
 
I would bet you're right after looking at a bunch of other pictures and sites. It's amazing how they talk about all kinds of soil and pest problems that it can have. That bush requires zero care in our yard.

A gardenia is also a non-native species which makes it even more likely that is the correct identity. The previous owner of this house planted a ton of wonderful vegetation, but 75% of it is not native!
 
Late catching up on blogs. As soon as you said it smelled great I knew it was a gardenia. My favourite flowering plant!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?