web page hit counter TBnJ: Pasta House Salad

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

 

Pasta House Salad

In St. Louis, there is a chain of restaurants called Pasta House and another chain of restaurants known as Rich and Charlie's. They both serve a similar salad which I adore and have made an entire meal out of with a bit of Italian or French bread with it. Making it at home isn't quite the same, but when I'm several hundred miles away from St. Louis and only eating organic, the homemade version has to suffice. No, no one else in the family shared in this salad with me though Daddy-o will occasionally have a bit of it. But that's fine. More for me. :)

***

RICH AND CHARLIE'S SALAD OR PASTA HOUSE SALAD

Salad:

1 head Romaine lettuce
1 head Iceberg lettuce
1 large red onion, sliced into thin rings
1 jar pimentos, drained and chopped
1 can Hearts of Palm (drained and cut in 1/4 inch slices) (I often omit because I'm not fond of them)
1 can Artichoke Hearts (drained and sliced, not marinated)
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese (I usually do more)

Dressing:

1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive or canola oil (or a mixture)
1/2 tsp. sugar (I use agave nectar)
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt or garlic salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Clean lettuce and break into pieces. Add onion, pimentos, hearts of palm and artichoke hearts. Toss. Make dressing in a container with a lid, and shake vigorously. Add dressing to salad just before serving. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. To make it taste more like the restaurant (aka a bit soggy!), add the dressing and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?