web page hit counter TBnJ: No flying monkeys

Monday, April 21, 2008

 

No flying monkeys

TBnJ went to see The Wizard of Oz yesterday at the Paramount Theatre. T was very excited about it as he loves the Wizard of Oz and is still working his way through the Ruth Plumly Thompson books as I get them through interlibrary loan. Before nap time on Sunday, T pulled out the original Wizard of Oz book and was rereading it.

When I asked them about it, T said that it was good, but "they" made it shorter and changed a lot. He was disappointed that they left out content, and he was also disappointed that they didn't have many of the special effects that were in the movie. He was especially unhappy that they didn't have any flying monkeys. However, he was happy that they knew that the Wizard needed to be disguised and managed to do funny things with his voice.

J also thought it was good. When I asked her what she liked best about it, she said, "The movie." I asked her if she meant the whole play, and she said yes. She didn't really have much to say about it. She did wear her ruby red slippers to the play, though.

B was adamant about not wanting to go. I started talking to him, and he was afraid of the witch and the fire. We convinced him that the witch wasn't real, and they likely would not have fire in the special effects. Eventually he was persuaded to go. Daddy-o said he was scared by the witch during parts of the show. Daddy-o also thought it would have been nice to have a "meet the cast" before the show rather than after so that the littler kids would be able to see ahead of time that the actress was nice, not scary.

Some friends of ours happened to be two rows behind them at the theater. One of them voiced the opinion that the music was terrible. Daddy-o wasn't impressed with it, either. Based on the video through the link above, I'd have to say it definitely doesn't have as good of a soundtrack as the movie!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?