web page hit counter TBnJ: Pete's Dragon

Saturday, March 08, 2008

 

Pete's Dragon

This evening's movie was Pete's Dragon. I remember seeing it as a kid, but I didn't remember much about it which meant it couldn't have been too horrendously scary. As an adult, I thought it was ok. Not great, but not bad.

TBnJ all mostly enjoyed it. T didn't have much to say while watching it. J liked it more, I think. B was scared by the Gogans, the hillbilly family which "buys" and mistreats Pete before Nora (Helen Reddy) and Lampie (Mickey Rooney) adopt him. B never said he was scared, but he would disappear during those scenes or go find Daddy-o to cling to him. The tense scenes in the film didn't bother T and J, but they would have just a year or two ago.

B was amused by the fact that Nora and Lampie lived in a round house (the lighthouse). B also went around trying to light invisible lamp wicks with his own fire-breathing skills after watching Elliott the dragon do it. B failed. He didn't even manage to annoy his siblings with his attempts which is pretty amazing given how easily irritated J is lately.

The film also brought up a few interesting questions on J's part. Mickey Rooney's character is an amicable drunk. J wanted to know what drunk was. Since we don't have alcohol around our house and we've never hung out in bars or parties with lots of alcohol, the kids were even pretty clueless about that. Trying to explain "drunk" was a lot harder than I would have thought, and I'm pretty sure I failed.

J also wanted to know if Paul, Nora's lost fiancé, was going to survive the storm at sea so that they could get married and live happily ever after. This, plus a comment on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that she made earlier this weekend, have clued me in to the fact that J has bought in to the fairy tale idea that happily ever after = getting married.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?