Monday, March 31, 2008
French Toast
We haven't made French toast in four years (I think) due to the egg issues I've had, but on Sunday morning, we made some. The kids liked it. J thought it was great and ate a bunch without complaining. I'm sure the fact that maple syrup was involved helped, but still, for her, it was an amazingly smooth meal. After the kids had finished off theirs, J helped me continue cooking a second batch to reheat during the week for breakfast. This was her first experience with using the stove. The boys were elsewhere in the house playing peacefully so I was able to devote attention to her and the stove without worrying about other kids. I'm definitely not ready to have more than one child near the stove with others in the kitchen. J also took this picture of the final products.I'm putting the recipe below mainly for my sake so I can remember what we did that worked so well!
***
French Toast
1 goose egg (about 2/3 a cup of egg white and yolk)
3/4 cup oat milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
5-6 slices of whole wheat bread
Whisk together the ingredients (except the bread) in a Pyrex measuring cup. Pour into a pie pan to dunk the bread. Cook in the stainless 11" frying pan on medium-low heat (6 dots). The pan was coated with canola oil for the first few pieces but didn't seem to need any after that.
Labels: around the house, kid photos, recipes
