Saturday, March 01, 2008
destruction and construction
Eighteen months ago, the pool house at our local park was vandalized and set on fire. After a long planning period that involved lots of issues with the insurance company from the reports of neighborhood gossip, construction is now moving forward with building a community center on the sam
e area where the pool house once stood.While it will be nice to have real bathrooms back at the park instead of the chemical port-o-potties, the construction period may drive me nuts. We are only a block from the park, b
ut it seems rather closer than that when something noisy is going on. This week the jackhammering started at 7 a.m. every day. This morning, since it's Saturday, they didn't start until 9 a.m. Currently I can just hear the rumbling of big trucks as the jackhammering has stopped (hopefully for good!).
The kids, however, think the destruction and construction are very exciting. We've been walking up to the park to see what they've done each day. Fencing keeps going up (much to their dismay though I
think it's a good thing). More rocks are appearing. Generally, it's a mess up there. I've heard that the estimated date of completion is June 15th.The bridge over the creek /drainage ditch also is under major renovation though I doubt that has anything to do with the community center construction. The sign on it says estimated completion in two weeks.
