Friday, February 08, 2008
MIA
Yesterday after school, J took a shower. Normally she would come right down afterward, but yesterday she disappeared for a while into her room. Finally, after we called her, J came down for dinner. As she descended the stairs, she called out to me, "Mama, what's M-I-A?"I was very confused for a minute. M.I.A. is of course the first thing that popped into my head, and I couldn't figure out why a seven year old girl was asking about war terms. Then I realized that I had left the new American Girl Catalog on J's bed earlier that afternoon. Hence, after her shower, J had gotten sucked into the catalog rather than coming down to dinner. The girl of the year is Mia. J must never have encountered the name before.
So I asked her, "You mean Mia?" And she said, "Yes, can I have her?" I told her no, not today, to which she replied, "Dang. Can I have her for my birthday?" I told her we could talk about it later which also was not the response she wanted.
Labels: around the house, kid sayings
