Thursday, February 14, 2008
the great 'possum hunt, part II
Since it has been over a week since we chased turtles, and because Blue Dog wanted to get me something extra special for Valentine's Day, we just went through the great 'possum hunt, part II. It was lots of fun, but it definitely wasn't as fun the first edition of this game. With part I, I was fighting the onset of shingles in my shoulder/neck which made the whole thing painful. This time I have a flu-like virus that is making me miserable. And of course, Daddy-o is not here. He is up at the after hours clinic with B who is coughing constantly. J and T are asleep.
So anyway, Blue Dog was outside losing it completely. I know that bark. It means there is a creature in his yard. Sure enough, there was a possum half on the fence and half on a crape myrtle branch. This was far better than last time when the beagles were both at it and had the poor critter cornered on the ground. Through all of the fuss this evening, Red Dog was in his room completely unconcerned by Blue Dog's frantic howling. I went outside, and after a minute of coaxing, I was able to get Blue Dog into the kids' yard. The possum was standing on the fence on the edge of the two yards, and so all Blue Dog did once he was in the kids' yard was run to the fence to howl at the possum from a different angle. Very effective. But I chased Blue Dog further in the yard, and I eventually got him in the house. I locked the dog door (which I should have done first). The beagles are now laying around downstairs, and hopefully the possum has had enough sense to get far away from our yard.
And no, I didn't grab the camera this time. Possums just aren't cute in my book.
So anyway, Blue Dog was outside losing it completely. I know that bark. It means there is a creature in his yard. Sure enough, there was a possum half on the fence and half on a crape myrtle branch. This was far better than last time when the beagles were both at it and had the poor critter cornered on the ground. Through all of the fuss this evening, Red Dog was in his room completely unconcerned by Blue Dog's frantic howling. I went outside, and after a minute of coaxing, I was able to get Blue Dog into the kids' yard. The possum was standing on the fence on the edge of the two yards, and so all Blue Dog did once he was in the kids' yard was run to the fence to howl at the possum from a different angle. Very effective. But I chased Blue Dog further in the yard, and I eventually got him in the house. I locked the dog door (which I should have done first). The beagles are now laying around downstairs, and hopefully the possum has had enough sense to get far away from our yard.
And no, I didn't grab the camera this time. Possums just aren't cute in my book.
Labels: around the house, dogs
