Thursday, February 07, 2008
One Flew over the Un-Couscous Nest
Inspired by this post, I made a version of the curry dish this evening for dinner. It was REALLY good. B ate a few servings of it and kept calling it "chicken soup." T inhaled his first serving. J rejected it, but that's par for the course. Below is my version of it. Next time I will be adding a jalapeno to it to add some kick though I'll remove the jalapeno before serving.***
One Flew over the Un-Couscous Nest
olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped in the food processor with the blade
1 tbsp ground ginger

1 cup chopped onion
2 medium green peppers, julienned in the food processor
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c chicken broth
2 small peeled sweet potatoes, julienned in the food processor
1 small white potato, julienned in the food processor
2 small carrots, julienned in the food processor
1-2 tsp salt
1 c coconut milk
2 tbsp tapioca starch
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 c barley (I'm sure any grain would work-- the original called for couscous)
1 c chicken broth
1.25 c water
2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
In a small covered pot, bring barley, chicken broth, water, and OJ to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 60-75 minutes until barley is done.
In a larger pot (I used a 3.5 quart pot), heat olive oil and add chicken, ginger and onion. Cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in spices and remaining veggies. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Combine coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and veggies along with cilantro. Increase heat and cook until thickened. Serve over fluffed barley.
Labels: recipes
