Wednesday, December 12, 2007
suspended
B has a good friend at preschool named D. They've been in the same class for the better part of the past three years because their birthdays are very close on the calendar. D's father has a job that takes him on the road for weeks at a time during certain seasons, so D and his mother often go along with the father on these road trips. When B was young and D was his favorite friend, this was devastating. B would be so sad in the weeks when D was gone. The day D came back was always a very happy one. In more recent times, B's friend base has expanded, so it's not quite so devastating when D is gone.
D has recently returned from a long road trip. When I asked B the other night at dinner whom he had played with at school, B answered, "D was gone for a while, but he's back now."
T, listening in on the conversation, stated in a very deadpan voice, "Maybe he was suspended." Daddy-o and I had to choke back our laughter. T continued, "Or maybe he was expelled. I can't remember which is which." Daddy-o told T that he seriously doubted that D had been suspended from preschool.
But I had to ask T, "Where did you learn about 'suspended?'"
He replied, "At school."
And so I asked again, "And who at school taught you about these things?"
T said, "[Friend] M."
Again Daddy-o and I had to choke back our laughter. Daddy-o couldn't resist asking how friend M knew about these things. T said he didn't know how M knew, but M just knew about these things. Uh huh.
D has recently returned from a long road trip. When I asked B the other night at dinner whom he had played with at school, B answered, "D was gone for a while, but he's back now."
T, listening in on the conversation, stated in a very deadpan voice, "Maybe he was suspended." Daddy-o and I had to choke back our laughter. T continued, "Or maybe he was expelled. I can't remember which is which." Daddy-o told T that he seriously doubted that D had been suspended from preschool.
But I had to ask T, "Where did you learn about 'suspended?'"
He replied, "At school."
And so I asked again, "And who at school taught you about these things?"
T said, "[Friend] M."
Again Daddy-o and I had to choke back our laughter. Daddy-o couldn't resist asking how friend M knew about these things. T said he didn't know how M knew, but M just knew about these things. Uh huh.
Labels: kid sayings
