Monday, December 03, 2007
the sideshow circus freaks
As background to this post, I have to say that Daddy-o and I have known each other for 20 years now. We have been dating/married for 17.5+ years. You start to think you know everything about the person you've spent more than half your life with, but then they do something that blows your mind.
On Sunday morning, the kids were eating breakfast. J's friend "I" was with us still at that point. T asked her out of the blue, "Hey, are you double jointed?" "I" innocently asked, "What does that mean?" And T responded, "It means you can do this." And then he proceeded to demonstrate this by bending his thumb joint in way that looked like he had dislocated the finger. Insert major Mama freak out here. I looked at Daddy-o and asked, "How long has he been doing that?" And Daddy-o said, "Two years. Didn't you know he could do that?" No, I didn't. And I would prefer I still didn't know. That awful image of the bent joint is burned into my brain.
But it gets better. I asked Daddy-o, "Where did he get that from? Is anyone in your family double jointed?" Daddy-o gave me a look of confusion and said, "You mean like me?" I didn't know he was double jointed. Then Daddy-o moved his hand closer to me and said, "See, I can..." at which juncture he was greeted with loud shrieks from me of "No! No! No!" I did not need to see another dislocated thumb.
Then J chimed in, "Yes, I can do it, too. B is the only one of us who isn't double jointed." Daddy-o corrected her and said, "Or maybe he just hasn't figured out how to do it yet. He's still young." Great. I can look forward to learning about that at breakfast in another couple of years.
I could deal with the Lego Addicts and the NASA nerds. But these sideshow circus freaks I just am not sure about.
On Sunday morning, the kids were eating breakfast. J's friend "I" was with us still at that point. T asked her out of the blue, "Hey, are you double jointed?" "I" innocently asked, "What does that mean?" And T responded, "It means you can do this." And then he proceeded to demonstrate this by bending his thumb joint in way that looked like he had dislocated the finger. Insert major Mama freak out here. I looked at Daddy-o and asked, "How long has he been doing that?" And Daddy-o said, "Two years. Didn't you know he could do that?" No, I didn't. And I would prefer I still didn't know. That awful image of the bent joint is burned into my brain.
But it gets better. I asked Daddy-o, "Where did he get that from? Is anyone in your family double jointed?" Daddy-o gave me a look of confusion and said, "You mean like me?" I didn't know he was double jointed. Then Daddy-o moved his hand closer to me and said, "See, I can..." at which juncture he was greeted with loud shrieks from me of "No! No! No!" I did not need to see another dislocated thumb.
Then J chimed in, "Yes, I can do it, too. B is the only one of us who isn't double jointed." Daddy-o corrected her and said, "Or maybe he just hasn't figured out how to do it yet. He's still young." Great. I can look forward to learning about that at breakfast in another couple of years.
I could deal with the Lego Addicts and the NASA nerds. But these sideshow circus freaks I just am not sure about.
Labels: around the house, kid sayings
