Friday, August 31, 2007
Froggy Friday
This morning B and I went up to the local park to meet up with friends. B brought his shovel and pail to do some quality digging. He also picked clover flowers and dandelions. The only piece of playground equipment he actually got on was the tire swing.We saw a large variety of animals at the park. Aside from the expected dogs and squirrels, B's favorite was probably the frog pictured below at the right. He was very excited about it. There was a really cute young baby sitting nearby, and I asked B which was more interesting, the baby or the frog. The frog won without hesitation.
Other animals we saw include a beetle, a cricket, ants, dragonflies, wasps, and most excitingly, a bunch of cockroaches. While we were at the sandbox (aka the sand volleyball pit), the "tr
ash man" came by to empty the trashcan. B was fascinated with the emptying of the trashcans and stopped playing in the sand to come watch him. At one point the guy said to B, "Did you see them?" And B said, "Yes, two of them went under there." The trash man replied, "I knew you would. Kids always see them and think it's neat." At this point, I think they are seeing leprechauns or some such magical creature that I can't see, and I also think they are nuts. I look at the trash man who says to me, "Roaches. They live in the trashcans and come out when I take off the lids to change the bags." There were two clinging to underside of the trashcan lid, and there were two more in the trashcan that B got to see. I was just thrilled, let me tell you, but B thought it was fascinating.After he left, B started asking where the trash man came from. I told him that he drives around from park to park to empty the trashcans. B wanted to know what he drove to get to the park. I told him probably a truck. He wanted to know what color the truck was. I told him white. B wanted to know why white. I told him, "Why not?" More logically, all the local maintenance trucks in this area are white with a blue logo on them, so there was a reason behind my answer. And as we were leaving the park, I pointed out the white truck to B who was by then more concerned about gathering large numbers of acorns to bring home with us.
Labels: in Austin, kid sayings
