Sunday, August 12, 2007
costume decisions 2007
T is the astronaut. Actually, I'm fairly certain he is Neil Armstrong. He wanted Neil Armstrong to be on the last shuttle that went up for reasons we couldn't discern. The first teacher in space-- interesting, but not Neil Armstrong.
B is really, really, really set on being a ghost. So we'll buy a white sheet and cut a hole. No biggie. We can handle that costume. Edited to add: B wants to be a BLUE ghost. So we'll buy a blue sheet. We can handle that, too.
J is making up for how uncomplicated B's costume is. She wants to be an American Girl. Her first attempt was that she wanted to be Emily (and therefore we should buy her Emily as part of her costume... not happening). So she is going to be Nellie or Nicki, the two dolls she has.
Her first choice was the Irish Step Dance Costume. Costumes like that are $300+ used online. Not happening. I looked at patterns, and I could probably hobble together the green dress but the embroidery is just not possible on my simple machine.
Her second choice was Nellie's Victorian Era outfit. That would be easy to sew, and she would end up wearing it a lot as a dress.
Her third choice was Nicki's outfit. She has a cowgirl hat and a white blouse like that, so we'd just buy the skirt from American Girl and go buy boots at a local place (which isn't hard in Texas). That would be the easiest.
Of course, I made the mistake of mentioning that when a cousin was J's age, she did Kirstin's Saint Lucia costume. J's eyes lit up when I explained that to her. She wanted to know if we could do it with fake candles on the wreath.
She was also eying Felicity's Tea Lesson Gown for a while but decided she doesn't have Felicity, and she wants to be one of the dolls she has.
So after a few days contemplating it all, she has settled on Nellie's Victorian Era outfit (photo at left, courtesy of the American Girl website). I think Nellie won out because J looks more like Nellie than Nicki-- her hair is shorter and straighter like Nellie's. Her logic was that she could be Nicki next year (when her hair will be theoretically longer). So I will be sewing a light blue dress for her. She's already got the cross necklace and patent leather shoes, and probably the white stockings, too. Finding a white hat might be more interesting, but it will be easy to decorate it with flowers and a ribbon. At one point I had a scarf/handkerchief in a pattern like that purse that I could have easily converted, but a drawstring purse is easy to make, too.
B is really, really, really set on being a ghost. So we'll buy a white sheet and cut a hole. No biggie. We can handle that costume. Edited to add: B wants to be a BLUE ghost. So we'll buy a blue sheet. We can handle that, too.
J is making up for how uncomplicated B's costume is. She wants to be an American Girl. Her first attempt was that she wanted to be Emily (and therefore we should buy her Emily as part of her costume... not happening). So she is going to be Nellie or Nicki, the two dolls she has.
Her first choice was the Irish Step Dance Costume. Costumes like that are $300+ used online. Not happening. I looked at patterns, and I could probably hobble together the green dress but the embroidery is just not possible on my simple machine.
Her second choice was Nellie's Victorian Era outfit. That would be easy to sew, and she would end up wearing it a lot as a dress.
Her third choice was Nicki's outfit. She has a cowgirl hat and a white blouse like that, so we'd just buy the skirt from American Girl and go buy boots at a local place (which isn't hard in Texas). That would be the easiest.
Of course, I made the mistake of mentioning that when a cousin was J's age, she did Kirstin's Saint Lucia costume. J's eyes lit up when I explained that to her. She wanted to know if we could do it with fake candles on the wreath.
She was also eying Felicity's Tea Lesson Gown for a while but decided she doesn't have Felicity, and she wants to be one of the dolls she has.
So after a few days contemplating it all, she has settled on Nellie's Victorian Era outfit (photo at left, courtesy of the American Girl website). I think Nellie won out because J looks more like Nellie than Nicki-- her hair is shorter and straighter like Nellie's. Her logic was that she could be Nicki next year (when her hair will be theoretically longer). So I will be sewing a light blue dress for her. She's already got the cross necklace and patent leather shoes, and probably the white stockings, too. Finding a white hat might be more interesting, but it will be easy to decorate it with flowers and a ribbon. At one point I had a scarf/handkerchief in a pattern like that purse that I could have easily converted, but a drawstring purse is easy to make, too.Labels: around the house, kid sayings
