Thursday, April 19, 2007
various kid stuff
T has almost mastered riding his bike. J has had her training wheels off for several weeks now, but T is just on the edge of it.
What T has done successfully is have a growth spurt. Pants that were on the edge of being too short are now way too short. Most of his pants from last winter are worn through at the knees. Many were hand-me downs and already had knee patches, but they now need patches on the patches. I'm afraid they won't make it to B as pants. We're going to be making them into cutoffs for art camp this summer before they enter their next phase of life in the rag bin. T, fashion conscious child that he is (not), is insisting they need to be hemmed. He doesn't want frayed edges on them. Putting a hem in jeans using a simple Singer machine just doesn't work even with denim needles. I've tried unsuccessfully. I'm afraid they'll be having frayed edges.
Daddy-o's underwear is also dying out. I was washing new underwear for Daddy-o last night, and T was asking why. I told him Daddy-o's underwear was all getting holey and needed to be replaced. T agreed that Daddy-o's underwear was all full of holes "except a few pairs on the bottom of the stack and those have spiders in them." Somehow that migrated into a conversation about Daddy-o needing Spiderman underwear like T used to have, but Daddy-o doesn't seem to think that's necessary.
The movie of the week is Destiny in Space. Daddy-o and T were rapidly sucked into it, but both Daddy-o and I thought it could have been a lot better. J didn't enjoy the simulations of the surfaces of Venus and Mars at all and was loud in sharing that opinion. It was rather hard to hear Leonard Nimoy narrating because all three kids were constantly asking questions both simultaneously and too loudly. We did conclude that between my motion sickness and my dislike for small cramped quarters, the space shuttle is not a place I would be happy. Daddy-o and T were drooling at the prospect, though.
What T has done successfully is have a growth spurt. Pants that were on the edge of being too short are now way too short. Most of his pants from last winter are worn through at the knees. Many were hand-me downs and already had knee patches, but they now need patches on the patches. I'm afraid they won't make it to B as pants. We're going to be making them into cutoffs for art camp this summer before they enter their next phase of life in the rag bin. T, fashion conscious child that he is (not), is insisting they need to be hemmed. He doesn't want frayed edges on them. Putting a hem in jeans using a simple Singer machine just doesn't work even with denim needles. I've tried unsuccessfully. I'm afraid they'll be having frayed edges.
Daddy-o's underwear is also dying out. I was washing new underwear for Daddy-o last night, and T was asking why. I told him Daddy-o's underwear was all getting holey and needed to be replaced. T agreed that Daddy-o's underwear was all full of holes "except a few pairs on the bottom of the stack and those have spiders in them." Somehow that migrated into a conversation about Daddy-o needing Spiderman underwear like T used to have, but Daddy-o doesn't seem to think that's necessary.
The movie of the week is Destiny in Space. Daddy-o and T were rapidly sucked into it, but both Daddy-o and I thought it could have been a lot better. J didn't enjoy the simulations of the surfaces of Venus and Mars at all and was loud in sharing that opinion. It was rather hard to hear Leonard Nimoy narrating because all three kids were constantly asking questions both simultaneously and too loudly. We did conclude that between my motion sickness and my dislike for small cramped quarters, the space shuttle is not a place I would be happy. Daddy-o and T were drooling at the prospect, though.
Labels: around the house, kid sayings, movies and tv
