Saturday, January 20, 2007
the greenlings
Yesterday when B was home from school sick, I told him that Greenling had made their delivery and we needed to bring in groceries. He was very excited about it and said, "Let's see what the greenlings brought us!" I think in his mind there are these magical leprechauns who leave food on the front porch.
The greenlings brought us a box of kumquats (because I ordered them on the computer). I had never had a kumquat. At the misadvice of the internet, I tried eating one raw with the skin on. PTOOEY! That was like eating a lemon except worse. So I knew we had to cook them and sweeten them up to get the kids to try them. As a result we made Tropical Kumquat Cake last night. J tried one bite and said it was weird. T liked it. B ate it. Daddy-o said it was ok. (I can't eat pineapple without my lips and throat swelling up, so I decided not to experience it! It smelled temptingly good, though.)
Tropical Kumquat Cake
1/2 c flax seed flour
1 c sucanat
1 tsp cinnamon
3 c whole spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c agave nectar
1 c canola oil
1.5 c chopped kumquats
1 c chopped pecans (ours were flour to hide them from the kids)
1 can crushed pineapple (without the juice)
Mix the dry ingredients; add the wet ones in. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees in an oiled and floured 9x13 glass pan.
The greenlings brought us a box of kumquats (because I ordered them on the computer). I had never had a kumquat. At the misadvice of the internet, I tried eating one raw with the skin on. PTOOEY! That was like eating a lemon except worse. So I knew we had to cook them and sweeten them up to get the kids to try them. As a result we made Tropical Kumquat Cake last night. J tried one bite and said it was weird. T liked it. B ate it. Daddy-o said it was ok. (I can't eat pineapple without my lips and throat swelling up, so I decided not to experience it! It smelled temptingly good, though.)
Tropical Kumquat Cake
1/2 c flax seed flour
1 c sucanat
1 tsp cinnamon
3 c whole spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c agave nectar
1 c canola oil
1.5 c chopped kumquats
1 c chopped pecans (ours were flour to hide them from the kids)
1 can crushed pineapple (without the juice)
Mix the dry ingredients; add the wet ones in. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees in an oiled and floured 9x13 glass pan.
Labels: kid sayings, recipes
