Saturday, November 25, 2006
parades
On Thanksgiving, we watched the Macy's Parade. The kids got annoyed at the commentators (especially on CBS) and the number of commercials. They felt the same way last year. NBC had more musical numbers, and I was surprised at how much the kids enjoyed watching them. They liked the Rockettes (whom in a previous year T had noted that they didn't have enough clothes on!). They were absolutely captivated when the musical number from How the Grinch Stole Christmas came on. They wanted to know why the funny looking people (the Whos) were singing about "Who Likes Christmas?" because everyone likes Christmas. I had to try to explain the Grinch to them rapidly, and they were really fascinated by the idea that someone might not like Christmas. Since we don't have cable, they've never seen the cartoon version of The Grinch, so I put it next in their Netflix Queue so we can reconcile this problem. I came back in from the kitchen at one point, and the kids told me that the singers were "about King Arthur." It was actually Monty Python's Spamalot, and I just didn't even want to try to explain Monty Python to them. Despite feeling like the kids live under a bunch of rocks by that point, a Pokemon character balloon came on the screen and they all said loudly, "It's Pikachu." I felt like I was under the rock at that point. We don't do Pokemon around here, but it was quickly discovered that J's best friend at school loves Pokemon and hence our kids' familiarity with the characters.
Today the kids went to the Austin version of a Thanksgiving parade, the Chuy's Parade. The kids were thrilled to see the Biscuit Brothers, Franklin, a Care Bear, and the Grinch. Especially the Grinch. But B was very disappointed not to see the Humpty Dumpty balloon from the Macy's parade. I was surprised that was the balloon he was most upset about not making the journey from New York.
Today the kids went to the Austin version of a Thanksgiving parade, the Chuy's Parade. The kids were thrilled to see the Biscuit Brothers, Franklin, a Care Bear, and the Grinch. Especially the Grinch. But B was very disappointed not to see the Humpty Dumpty balloon from the Macy's parade. I was surprised that was the balloon he was most upset about not making the journey from New York.
Labels: around the house, in Austin, kid sayings, movies and tv
