web page hit counter TBnJ: eggplant and aunts

Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

eggplant and aunts

I made breaded eggplant for dinner for the first time ever. T and B finished it before I got a chance to try it. I guess I'll be making that again.

J was reading a Franklin book out loud when she suddenly stopped and asked me, "Why is Uncle S called Uncle S?" I wasn't sure what the question really meant, so I told her, "Well, his name is S and he's your uncle." So then J asked me, "Who are my aunts?" I told her that there's only one official one right now, Aunt T1. She asked why, and I told her that Daddy-o and I didn't have any sisters and none of her other uncles are married right now. She said, "Well, what about Uncle M2?" Why he got picked on among the uncles, I don't know. But I told her, "Uncle M2 is dating a woman named T2." Then J asked, "What's dating?" That's a really good question and not one I had thought about how to answer. So I told her that dating was when you were spending a lot of time with a person trying to see if you liked them and maybe, maybe, maybe thinking about marrying them.

I'm realizing now that some of her confusion may have been arising from the fact that we refer to all of the kids' godmothers by "aunt" as a term of endearment, though she never asked about them specifically.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?