Wednesday, September 06, 2006
babies
B has an "assignment" for school that he's supposed to bring in pictures of his family to make a collage on the wall. Other families have been more together and have brought theirs in already; we got a reminder note from the teacher. So I worked on it this evening and printed out some. Before I did, I asked B who he wanted pictures of, and he named the whole immediate family. He also said his friend F had pictures of when he was a baby and B wanted pictures of himself when he was a baby (which I had no problem doing).
About five minutes later, B asks out of nowhere, "Mama, when are you going to have a baby?"
Uh, no.
I told him, "I don't need to have a baby because you are my baby." Daddy-o started laughing at that one. B was only satisfied with that answer for about 10 seconds. He asked, "Why?" I told him we already had a lot of kids in our family so we really didn't need to have any more. That answer seemed to satisfy him a lot more because he gave me a big smile in response. And then Daddy-o got me distracted with dinner issues, so B didn't have a chance to ask anymore questions.
(During all of this, T and J were already in bed-- at 6:45 pm. No nap and a long day at school wears them out.)
I think that the real reason this came up was that I cursed myself. I was talking to a pregnant friend yesterday whose five year old has a bunch of interest in the upcoming arrival of his new brother, but her three year old isn't so interested. I told her that I was amazed that B hadn't started a lobbying effort to get a younger sibling yet. I spoke just one day too soon!
About five minutes later, B asks out of nowhere, "Mama, when are you going to have a baby?"
Uh, no.
I told him, "I don't need to have a baby because you are my baby." Daddy-o started laughing at that one. B was only satisfied with that answer for about 10 seconds. He asked, "Why?" I told him we already had a lot of kids in our family so we really didn't need to have any more. That answer seemed to satisfy him a lot more because he gave me a big smile in response. And then Daddy-o got me distracted with dinner issues, so B didn't have a chance to ask anymore questions.
(During all of this, T and J were already in bed-- at 6:45 pm. No nap and a long day at school wears them out.)
I think that the real reason this came up was that I cursed myself. I was talking to a pregnant friend yesterday whose five year old has a bunch of interest in the upcoming arrival of his new brother, but her three year old isn't so interested. I told her that I was amazed that B hadn't started a lobbying effort to get a younger sibling yet. I spoke just one day too soon!
Labels: kid sayings
